Sunday, October 31, 2010

India's national ID system makes Project Censored Top 25

BTC- Project Censored ranked India's national ID system 22nd out of their top 25 most recent list of censored stories, adding a plug for the American plight against national identity.



(22) 1.2 Billion People in India to be Given Biometric ID Cards
They'll contain a person's name, age, birth date, fingerprints or iris scans, "though no caste or religious identification." Then in five years, a giant computer will hold data for half of them, receiving a 16-digit ID number by 2014 during the project's first phase.
Thereafter, its use will be required for all government and private services from drivers' licenses to hospitals to banking. Critics, however, balk, saying "the project will turn India into an Orwellian police state (able to) spy on citizens' private lives." Despite government denials, it may be precisely for that purpose.
Thus far not enacted, America's Real ID Act plans the same thing, widespread state opposition over the cost having stopped it up to now.

Project Censored produces an annual book on the 25 most censored news stories in America.   Censorship is determined by whether or not a story has endured a range of systemic news omissions through corralled media conventions.  Rationale driving censorship are considered to be political, economic or legal. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Delaware, where I live they are pimping the Real ID like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I will NEVER get one. If I can’t fix the situation in my State, than I will be moving. If I can’t move far enough, I will go off the grid. It is a shame that I would have to do such a crazy thing to protect my privacy and stand for my principles.

We are becoming a nation void of individual thought. Convenience has taken the place of research. Corporations and chains have taken over.

What ever happened to self reliance?

Whatever happened to keeping the money you earn from your efforts?

Whatever happened to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?

Why has it become the governments job to play Robin Hood?

It makes me sick that my neighbors and acquaintances can’t even research the people they vote for. How many people even know the names of some of the people they vote for an hour later?

Just a load of crap. Why is it so hard to see that if Grandma was never taxed on her income, she would have enough money to buy her own medicine, or if you were not taxed on your income perhaps you could buy it for her.

I know I went off topic a bit there but when the rant starts it can’t stop easily.

The Real ID does drive me nuts. I actually have written an article about it here, http://www.upfordebate.us/story.php?title=real-id-act–national-id-and-the-end-of-privacy-1

I think it is important to get the word out about this as much as possible. Most people have just bought the propaganda the State has put on them without even questioning why? Or if this is something considered American in values.

I have not yet given up on my country, though that day may come. I will fight as long as a fight is to be had. Unfortunately, they are winning, even as they are exposed. I feel we have a legitimate chance to make corrections in the coming years. I think within a decade we should know which way our country will go.

Until then I will do everything I can to thwart the Real ID Act and stand up for my friends and neighbors even as they mock me for standing on the side of liberty and freedom.

The true patriot always stands alone at first.