Wednesday, June 27, 2012

SU PAPELE'S, POR FAVOR? (Listen. Just skip Arizona.)

"So the court advised Arizona it would "raise constitutional concerns" if immigration checks "delay the release of detainees for no other reason than to verify their immigration status." But isn't that inevitable? Say I'm stopped on the street or at a traffic stop, an officer asks my immigration status, and I exercise my right to remain silent: Wouldn't verifying my immigration status by definition extend my detention longer than would otherwise be the case? Because the Arizona law hadn't been implemented, there were no facts before the court to say so, but there's little doubt those questions will be raised as soon as the law is implemented. I have a hard time seeing how verifying immigration status wouldn't "delay the release of detainees." How could it not?" 
-  Grits For Breakfast

No comments: